Do you love baking cookies? And do you want to turn your hobby into a business? Then you are on the right page. In this post, we will tell you how you can start selling cookies online? This is one of the best and easiest business ideas to start.
You need to follow the following steps to start your home-based cookies baking business.
1. Find Out The Laws
Starting a food business is not easy. You need to follow the regulations of law to start your business. You need to follow this law to make sure the smooth running of your business.
For selling cookies online you need to follow the following laws.
- You can not rent a kitchen to bake the cookies. You have to bake the cookies in your own kitchen. In some states this is the opposite, they will ask you for the separate kitchen.
- If you are using the fresh fruits in your cookies. You should bake them thoroughly.
- The health department might visit and inspect your kitchen.
- You should use your own packaging. Packaging should list the ingredients used and the expiry date of the cookies.
2. Business Name
You need a great business name to market your startup. This is not easy. You must allocate some time for this. As you can see, a lot of brands are already in the market. So the competition is high. So, with a great name, you can create your room.
For this, you can take help from friends and family members. Please make sure that your name should reflect that you are selling cookies.
As there are a lot of brands already in the market you need to double-check the trademark conflicts. Otherwise, you will not be able to register your company if someone is already using that name.
3. Business Plan
You can not run a business if you have no plan to run it. So you need to write a business plan for your business. In this, you have to answer the following questions.
- What type of cookies you will be selling?
- Who is going to be target audience?
- Where you will find your customers?
- How your cookies are different from your competitors and other companies?
- Why someone will purchase your cookies?
- How much you will charge?
- What things do you need to start your business?
- What are the things that are stopping you?
Before starting you must have answered all the questions given above. This will make your life easy for you. And will help you in the future.
4. Marketing Plan
This plan will help you, How you can reach your customers? You can consider the following ideas.
- You can contact the local cafes/stores to sell your cookies.
- Send a sample to influencer and ask for a shout out.
- Contact event management companies and ask them to try your cookies.
- Create social media pages like Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. And run campaigns to target the local audience.
You need a permit or license to run your business. This depends on where are you living. Some states charge you food item tax. This all depends on the law of the state where you are starting your cookies business.
6. Price Your Cookies
when you are selling cookies online you should calculate your price carefully. Add all your expenses like ingredients, cooking expenses (gas/electricity charges), marketing costs, taxes, and so on. Make sure that you are covering all your expenses. Also, add a little profit to your final cost.
Bake some cookies as a sample. Take their pictures. You can use these pictures for marketing purpose and also on your website.
Send this sample to local cafes so that they can give you shout out and start purchasing cookies from you.
You should create attractive packaging for your cookies. You can print your logo and slogan on your packaging. Please also add the ingredients you are using and the expiry date of the cookies in your packaging.
Also make sure that packaging is suitable for shipping. You can test your packaging by sending some packages to your friends and family members. Select the friends who are leaving in different states and has different weather as you have. So that, you have a clear idea that your packaging is good enough for shipping.
Also add the thank you note for the customers. You can also offer some coupon as well so that your customer comes back to you again and again. Returning customers will help you to grow business.
You need a website to show your digital presence. In this digital era every business needs a website. This website will help you to grow your business to national level or international level.
You can easily get orders from all over the world and you can ship them easily.
10. Social Media Accounts
To show your social presence, you need to create social media accounts. You can create your social profiles on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. On the Facebook page, you can also list all your products. You can also get the orders on the Facebook page.
If you don’t have a website it is not a big deal. You can use this page to manage all your orders.
This is the most important part. Many of the business fail because they cannot manage their tasks. You can create a simple routine for your cookies business.
- Bake early in the morning
- Send order to local cafe’s
- After that you should send all the orders through shipment.
- In evening you can spend some time on marketing
Once you align all your task and make a routine you can easily run your cookies business online.
This is all from our side how you call sell your home baked cookies online. Please share your thoughts in the comment section below. If you think we have missed something please let us know. We will update this post accordingly.